Review of the Disability (Access to Premises - Buildings) Standards 2010 (Premises Standards)
In 2015-16, the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, in consultation with the Attorney-General’s Department, conducted a review on the effectiveness of the Disability (Access to Premises – Buildings) Standards 2010 (Premises Standards) in providing access to buildings for people with disability.
The Premises Standards, which came into effect on 1 May 2011, aim to provide people with disability with dignified and equitable access to buildings, and provide certainty to industry that they are complying with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA).
Review Report and Government Response
The review report is now finalised and was provided to the Minister for Industry, Innovation and Science and the Attorney-General by the legislated date of 1 May 2016.
Decisions in relation to the release of the review report and an Australian Government response to the review report will be available in due course.
Background to the Review
Terms of reference
As required by Part 6 of the Premises Standards, the review:
- considered the effectiveness of the Premises Standards in achieving their objectives including whether the Standards have:
- provided people with disability with dignified, equitable, cost effective and reasonably achievable access to public buildings, and facilities and services within buildings that they have a right to enter, and
- given greater certainty for the building industry that access to buildings is not unlawful under the DDA; and
- identified any necessary amendments to the Standards.
It also considered:
- the interaction between the Premises Standards and existing regulatory schemes operating in state and territory jurisdictions; and
- inconsistencies in the interpretation and application of the Standards.
Review discussion paper and Submissions
The following information is provided as part of the review’s historical record. The purpose of the discussion paper was to provide interested people and organisations with information on the scope of the review, to outline key issues for discussion and encourage interested parties to make a submission on the effectiveness of the Premises Standards.
Submissions in response to the discussion paper are available for viewing on the Consultation Hub.
Updates on the review report and the Government’s response to the review report will be posted on this website.
Who can I contact if I have a question about next steps with the review process?
If you have any questions about next steps with the review process, email PremisesStandardsReview@industry.gov.au or call (02) 6102 9636.