Adult Migrant English Program
The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provides up to 510 hours of free English language tuition to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants to help them learn basic English language and settlement skills to enable them to confidently participate in Australian society.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible for the AMEP if you are a permanent resident of Australia or you hold an eligible temporary visa.
In addition, you must meet the following time frames from the date of your visa commencement or arrival in Australia to remain eligible:
- register with an AMEP service provider within six months (or 12 months if you are under 18 years of age at the time of registration);
- commence your tuition within 12 months; and
- complete your tuition within five years.
To find out if you are eligible or to register in the AMEP, you should contact your nearest AMEP service provider.
Where can I learn English?
The AMEP is delivered at over 250 locations across Australia in major cities as well as rural and regional areas.
Find your nearest service provider by clicking on the state or territory you live in:
English language classes
English language classes generally take place at learning centres and are delivered by AMEP service providers.
You can choose from a range of learning options including:
- Classroom tuition through either full-time or part-time study, including some weekend and night classes (where available)
- Distance learning through a package of learning material supported by regular telephone contact with a qualified teacher
- Home Tutor Scheme, which provides language assistance by a trained volunteer
- Self-paced e-learning using an online package to support and supplement your learning on an independent basis.
If you have under school-aged children, the AMEP also provides free childcare services so that you can attend classes.
Other Government language programs