Other Reports and Studies
Following is a list of departmental reports and studies relevant to industry as a whole. For industry specific reports and studies, select your area of interest from the industry sector list.
Disclaimer: Please note, content on this page dated prior to 2013 was released by previous governments and is provided for research and historical purposes only. The content may not reflect the views of the current government.
Reports and studies concerning Industry
- Policies to enhance Australia’s growth: A U.S. Perspective
Martin Baily, Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution and former advisor to President Clinton, has written a report on how good industry and innovation policy are essential for economic growth in Australia. This report was commissioned by the department under a partnership with the Brookings Institution.
- The role and performance of accelerators in the Australian startup ecosystem |
This project reviews the business models and performance metrics of startup support organisations (accelerators, incubators, co-working spaces, angel organisations, and mentoring organisations, including pre-accelerators and germinators)
- Demystifying Productivity: A Foundation for Policy Debate |
This paper explains productivity in relation to innovation and skills.
- Evaluation of Business.gov.au
The evaluation examined the appropriateness, effectiveness, efficiency, integration, performance assessment and strategic policy alignment of the business.gov.au initiative since 2004.
- Evaluation of the AusIndustry Regional Managers Network
This summary presents the findings and recommendations arising from an evaluation of the Network conducted from September 2009 – January 2010.
- Management Matters in Australia
This unique research project, completed in 2009, for the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research benchmarks management practices in Australian manufacturing firms against the global best.
- Manufacturing Sector: Overview of Structural Change Industry Brief
The latest edition of the Manufacturing Sector: Overview of Structural Change Industry Brief, 2008–09 published by the department includes statistical data and information on the size, diversity and scope of the manufacturing sector.
- Services Sector: Overview of Structural Change Industry Brief
This publication, released in July 2009, includes original research and articles that provide insight into structural change, innovation, productivity and international developments.
- Understanding the Role of Key Socio-Demographic Characteristics in Labour Force and Industry Employment Outcomes
The aim of this 2008 paper is to improve understanding of the impact of socio-demographic characteristics in labour force and industry employment outcomes in Australia.
Australian Labour Market reports
Global Integration statement reports
- Background Paper 1: Overview of Australian Industry
This paper, released in May 2007, sets out data which is relevant to Australian industry, identifying significant characteristics and trends, and placing them in a medium to long-run context.
- Background Paper 2: Australian Manufacturing Sector Trends
This paper, released in May 2007, examines trends in the manufacturing sector, also reviewing each of the manufacturing sector's sub-sectors.
- Background Paper 3: Australian Services Sector Trends
This paper, released in May 2007, examines trends in the services sector, also providing data on employment, output and productivity for each services sub-sector.
- Background Paper 4: Drivers of Change in Australian Industry
This paper, released in May 2007, considers the drivers of change which are relevant to Australian industry.